Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
The poem or description alternates between using words that start with C and words that start with S, to achieve an effect resembling alliteration. The gentle, romantic tone of the poem is broken by the last two words, Your Mom. This is an example of a maternal insult joke, and is phrased accordingly.
The title text further emphasizes this, implying the mother in question is also promiscuous in addition to having slept with the unnamed author of the poem.
- [A picture of various apartment buildings.]
- Shadowed city slumber silently. A second-story suite.
- Come craving courtship, selected serendipitously
- Crazed copulations, a salacious storm of continuous coitus.
- Spread, straddled, conquered.
- Countless crashed suitors strewn carelessly.
- Center, silken sheets sensuously caressing soft skin,
- Contentedly sleeps your mom.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
It's a long jump, but could it be a reference to Whore, a song by a Norwegian death metal band Mayhem? Similarities include the rhythm and the "alliteration" effect. I wouldn't call it, but with the extra hint in the title text it begins to appear probable. Kos 22.214.171.124 15:56, 27 May 2014 (UTC)
- I don't think Randall knows Norwegian Heavy Metal bands. But maybe I'm wrong, wiki says "Mayhem is a Norwegian black metal band formed in 1984 in Oslo". So the question is: How popular was this band in the US over the last thirty years? --Dgbrt (talk) 21:58, 27 May 2014 (UTC)
- Popular enough to be easily recognisable by anyone interested in the genre; it even got a major feature in a documentary (Until the Light Takes Us). That said, I understand that black metal itself is too niche to just assume Randall would be into it. Kos 126.96.36.199 08:05, 30 May 2014 (UTC)
The drawing combined with the poem makes me think of Chicago by Carl Sandburg (even though that doesn't have a much alliteration. -Jason 188.8.131.52 03:56, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- May not have much to do with Carl Sandburg, but the repeated initial letters are C and S. Coincidence? Probably.Boldiski (talk) 19:55, 21 March 2018 (UTC)