Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
George Clinton is an American musician most famous for his funk music and wild hair style, which we see depicted in the comic. Apparently, Randall was such a great fan of the man, he once started a rumor that he also has a University-degree in Mathematics. But he wanted it so bad to be true, Randall started to believe the rumor itself.
The mathematic equations on the board are Laplace Transforms for functions, by the way.
- Narrator: I once tried to start the urban legend that George Clinton has a B.A. in mathematics
- [George Clinton indicates equations on a blackboard]
- Narrator: ...but I wanted it to be true so badly that I started believing it myself.
- This is the eighteenth comic posted to livejournal. The previous was 18: Snapple. The next was 20: Ferret.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
Rikthoff (talk) Does anybody know what the correct date of issue of this comic is? Also, does anybody know why Randall loves George Clinton?
- Have you listened to George Clinton? It's seems reasonable to me that Randall should love him. Blaisepascal (talk) 03:54, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
While reading that I got curious: How is it possible to gain a B.A. in mathematics? I couldn't find any information about the U.S. bachelor system, but in Germany a bachelor's degree in any STEM field is considered a B.Sc. Elektrizikekswerk (talk) 12:08, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
Interestingly, a few years after this comic was made, George Clinton did record the track "Mathematics Of Love" (http://www.metrolyrics.com/mathematics-of-love-lyrics-george-clinton.html). 188.8.131.52 11:57, 6 January 2015 (UTC) Kingofderby
I don't think explainxkcd has a math extension yet...--Forrest ― 17jiangz1(talk)12:49, 01 May 2015 (UTC)
The expression on the blackboard is the expression of Laplace transformation and inverse Laplace transformation.--184.108.40.206 06:21, 4 May 2015 (UTC)
added lyrics and background 220.127.116.11 03:57, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
I feel we should just remove the "incomplete marker, as noone seems to have changed anything. Also, regarding the date of this comic, assuming Randall has always uploaded on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, couldn't we then create a formula to see how many days ago the comic was made? 18.104.22.168
22:01, 15 May 2015 (UTC)