Title text: And the possibility of lucid dreaming just makes it that much more fascinating.
The character on the right is talking about dreaming but using words and phrases to make dreaming sound much worse than it is. Randall is using the comic to make a point about how we think dreaming is so normal, but if we actually realize what's happening, dreaming is very strange:
- go comatose for a few hours = sleep for a few hours
- hallucinate vividly = dream
- suffer amnesia about the whole experience = forget the dream
The character on the left takes this as though the experience is normal. Both characters look like Cueball.
Lucid dreaming is where the dreamer is aware that he or she is dreaming.
- Sometimes it seems bizarre to me that we take dreaming in stride.
- [Two people standing.]
- Cueball: Are you coming to dinner?
- Friend: Yeah, but first I'm gonna go comatose for a few hours, hallucinate vividly, and then maybe suffer amnesia about the whole experience.
- Cueball: Okay, cool.