304: Nighttime Stories
Title text: Cue angry letters from all seven fans of Xenocide.
This comic shows Cueball who observes Megan walking around at midnight reading a book that he can't see. After wondering what book she's reading, he leaves his apartment to ask her. It is revealed that she is reading Orson Scott Card's book Xenocide, the third book in the Ender's Game series behind Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Xenocide is widely regarded by fans as one of the weakest books in the series, while Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead received extreme positive praise. When he discovers that she likes Xenocide more than the other two books, he instantly withdraws to his apartment, his opinion of her shattered. The joke is that Xenocide is so bad that he can't be with anyone who considers it a good book.
The title text pokes further fun at Xenocide by saying that there are only seven people in the world who like Xenocide, a pathetically small number.
- [Cueball sitting in an armchair in a darkened room, behind him a bookshelf and an open window. Megan is seen outside reading a book by an eerie glow.]
- For a few weeks now, sometime past midnight, a girl has wandered past my apartment reading by flashlight.
- [Outside, Megan walking down the street passing under a street lamp.]
- I wonder why shes up so late.
- Maybe shes restless
- Like me.
- I wonder what story shes wrapped up in.
- I wonder if she lets anyone into that island of light.
- [Cueball sitting in dark room.]
- [Dark room minus Cueball.]
- [Cueball standing on his doorstep at the top of a small flight of stairs, near the bottom of which Megan has stopped, no longer reading.]
- Cueball: Hi! What are you reading?
- Megan: Orson Scott Card's 'Xenocide.' It's my favorite in the series!
- [The same, only Cueball looks more dejected.]
- Cueball: Wait, you like it more than Speaker for the Dead OR Ender's Game?
- Megan: Yeah!
- [The same, only Cueball has withdrawn.]
- [Cueball back sitting in the chair within dark apartment.]
- And to think I loved her.