343: 1337: Part 3
|1337: Part 3|
Title text: I once asked an NSA guy whether they'd broken RSA. And I know I can trust him, because I asked if he was lying to me and he said no.
Adrian Lamo is a hacker known for being a threat analyst and has penetrated many corporate networks. As far as we know, he has not penetrated any government networks, so helping Elaine physically break into the NSA would probably put him out.
RSA is an encryption algorithm that allows decryption using public keys. No efficient method to break RSA is known. But if the NSA knew any such method, it would be unlikely for them to admit that. However, the NSA have paid RSA to put a backdoor into one of their encryption schemes.
Steve Jobs was the two-time CEO of Apple Inc. In partnership with Steve Wozniak he founded Apple. He oversaw Apple's return from near bankruptcy, the introduction of the original Macintosh, the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad. But in the 90s, most of this had not happened yet.
The final panel is a pun on the Riot grrrls - from Wikipedia Riot grrrl is an underground feminist punk rock movement. This metamorphises in the hands of Randall into Riot Prrl - who presumably prefer to code in Perl. The real Riot Prrl are from Northampton and are into guerilla knitting.
All comics in "1337" series:
This series was released on 5 consecutive days (Monday-Friday) and not over the usual Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule.
- [Outside, Adrian Lamo is helping Elaine Roberts over a barbed wire fence.]
- It was the late 90's. Elaine crisscrossed the country with Adrian Lamo, the 'Homeless Hacker', learning to gain entry into systems both virtual and physical.
- Adrian Lamo: So you just throw a rug over the fence and... say, what is this place anyway?
- Roberts: Nowhere special.
- Lamo: ...Elaine, is this NSA Headquarters?
- Roberts: ...Look, I just want to see if they've broken RSA.
- [Inside, Lawrence Lessig is sitting at a table, Roberts is standing across the table swinging a knife.]
- She learned, from Lawrence Lessig, about the monstrosity that is U.S. Copyright Law.
- Roberts: So, how do we fix the system? Stab bad guys?
- Lessig: I'm starting something called "Creative Commons"
- Elaine Roberts: I think we should stab bad guys...
- [Steve Jobs is lying up in his bed, Roberts is balancing while crouched on the foot of Jobs' bed.]
- She met with Steve Jobs to discuss the future of Apple.
- Roberts: Compression and bandwidth are changing everything.
- Jobs: Who are you? It's 3:00AM!
- Roberts: Apple should make a portable music player.
- Jobs: I'm calling the police.
- Roberts: Hey, idea — integrate it with a cell phone!
- [Scene has two of Elaine's activities. In one she is drumming, in the other she has an electric guitar on her shoulders, one hand on the frets. The other hand is holding a laptop by the touchpad.]
- She even, for a time, took up drumming, and helped start a movement among teen girls, a culture of self-taught female programmers and musicians, coding by day and rocking out by night—
- Roberts: Riot Prrl.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!