345: 1337: Part 5
|1337: Part 5|
Title text: This digital music thing will probably reach its endgame sometime in the next decade or so. These are very exciting times.
Richard Stallman is the ardent defender of freedom and believer in copyleft, he also founded the GNU Project. Cory Doctorow is a blogger, journalist, and science fiction author who serves as co-editor of the weblog Boing Boing. He is an activist in favour of liberalising copyright laws and a proponent of the Creative Commons organization. Bram Cohen is the founder of BitTorrent, a distributed method of downloading files.
The Dread Pirate Roberts is a fictional character from the book and movie The Princess Bride. Roberts is the most feared pirate on the seas. But, "Dread Pirate Roberts" is merely a title that has been passed down as previous "Roberts" have gained enough money (from piracy) to retire comfortably. Wesley, one of the main characters from The Princess Bride, becomes the Dread Pirate after being taken prisoner by the preceding Pirate Roberts. If Elaine became Dread Pirate Roberts, she would be a true Dread Pirate Roberts.
All comics in "1337" series:
This series was released on 5 consecutive days (Monday-Friday) and not over the usual Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule.
- [Two RIAA agents attack Elaine and Stallman. Elaine breaks RIAA #1, while Stallman disarms RIAA #2 in a flying manouvre.]
- Elaine: Thanks, Stallman!
- Stallman: 'Tis my pleasure.
- Elaine: So, wait - how did you know we were in trouble?
- Stallman: My friend here was tracking these thugs from his balloon. He called me and I thought I'd stop by
- [Doctorow slides down a rope in red cape & goggles.]
- Doctorow: -Hi! Cory Doctorow - It's a pleasure to meet you.
- Elaine: Balloon?
- Stallman: Aye. They're up there constructing something called a "Blogosphere."
- Doctorow: Yup! It's twenty kilometers up, just above the tag clouds.
- Bobby: Mom, I'm hungry.
- Mrs. Roberts: Hush! I'm coding. You ate yesterday.
- Stallman: You know, Roberts, GNU could use a good coder like you. Ever thought of joining us?
- Elaine: Maybe someday. Right now I've got an industry to take down. Music doesn't need these assholes.
- Doctorow: Begone! And never darken our comment threads again!
- Stallman: Well, you won't fix the industry with random exploits. You need to encourage sharing in the public mind.
- Doctorow: Hey; With your music and coding backgrounds, you should get into building better p2p systems.
- Elaine: What? Straight-up piracy?
- Doctorow: Sure- have you ever considered it? You'd make a wonderful dread pirate, Roberts
- Elaine shared her ideas with Bram Cohen, who went on to develop BitTorrent.
- Mrs. Roberts spends her time developing for Ubuntu, and defacing the websites of people who make "your mom" jokes to her daughter. Elaine still stalks the net. She joins communities, contributes code or comments, and moves on. And if, late at night, you point a streaming audio player at the right IP at the right time - you can hear her rock out.
- ~Happy Hacking.~