Title text: My Redwall/Jurassic Park crossover fanfic is almost complete!
The first panel shows the similarity between the story of Martin the Warrior (from the book Mossflower) and Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. The joke is that while Martin and Aragorn introduce themselves seperately, they then go on to describe their particular story, which turns out to be exactly the same for both of them. Subsequently Martin jinxes Aragorn. Jinx is a common children's game, which is initiated by shouting "Jinx" after somebody speaks the same word or sentence at the same time as you. That person is then jinxed, with the usual rules dictating that they are then not permitted to speak until unjinxed by some specific action (usually somebody saying their name).
The second panel deals with the fact that Redwall mentions the name of Satan or The Devil 4 times while it never mentions God or Jesus. Randall then points out that people who protest against Harry Potter because of the series witchcraft, should take note that Redwall explicitly mentions Satan although it has had little to no negative feedback from more conservative readers.
In the third panel, Randall comments on Redwall's often-used theme of critical messages being left in riddles throughout the Abbey for the occupants to find when they are in need. Randall suggests that he would use PGP encryption to encode the messages, instead of the elaborate riddles used in the books (some of which are ridiculously easy, which doesn't exactly make for good security when dealing with sensitive information).
- Notes from reading Redwall books for the first time since childhood.
- Some of this feels familiar.
- Aragorn: Hi, I'm Aragorn.
- Martin: I'm Martin.
- Aragorn and Martin: I'm here to reforge my broken sword so I can lead an army against the tyrant threatening my people. I live in a world of moral absolutes and racist undertones.
- Martin: Jinx!
- It startled me when characters mentioned Satan.
- Redwall: "By Satan's whiskers..."
- Redwall mentions God, Jesus 0 times.
- Redwall mentions Satan, The Devil 4 times.
- (Harry Potter protesters, take note.)
- Even as a kid this bothered me: Why does everyone leave critical secret messages as simple riddles? It's silly to assume the intended recipient will be the only one to find and solve them. I would do things differently.
- Matthias: The inscription is a message from Martin!
- Brother Methuselah: What does it say?
- Matthias: Hang on, it's encrypted with my public key.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!