explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
There is no xkcd comic numbered 404.
"404" is the HTTP Response Code for "Not Found". Randall deliberately skipped comic number 404 in xkcd. Therefore, when people go to xkcd 404 they get a "404 Not Found" error page.
This page exists on this wiki both to explain the joke, and to make the previous and next comic buttons work properly.
add a comment!
- 403: Convincing Pickup Line was published Monday March 31, 2008
- 404 was [not] published Tuesday April 1, 2008 - also April Fool's day
- 405: Journal 3 was published Wednesday April 2, 2008
April 1st, 2008 was a Tuesday, so no xkcd comic would have normally come out then. For that week, xkcd 403
was Monday, March 31st, 2008, xkcd 405
was Wednesday, April 2nd, and xkcd 406
was Friday, April 4th. 404 was just skipped. It is also skipped in the "previous comic"/"next comic" links on his site. I don't think it was an April Fools gag. Blaisepascal
) 19:03, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- Well, I'd say that it certainy might be. In any case, it's an interesting observation! St.nerol (talk) 11:22, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
- Then again, his skipping from 403 to 405 (making 404 come up "404: Not Found") may have been his April Fool joke that year. The timing may have been coincidental, but I don't blame him for taking advantage of it. --Aaron of Mpls (talk) 23:16, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- No, because there was already another April's Fool joke in 2008: xkcd, Questionable Content and Dinosaur Comics rotated their content (). However the timing does seem quite suspicious. -- Xorg (talk) 21:52, 16 April 2013 (UTC)