419: Forks and Spoons
|Forks and Spoons|
Title text: Their biggest mistake was bringing Rachael Ray and Emeril to tour the lab and sign off on the project. That's when Spielberg caught wind of it.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Incomplete; seems rather short.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic begins like standard sci-fi fare, where amoral scientists request funding from mysterious benefactors. The dialogue of "You're toying with powerful forces here" and "We know what we're doing" is a classic trope, foreshadowing that things will soon go horribly wrong. It inevitably leads to the humorous incongruity of a sentient spork on a murderous rampage.
Rachael Ray and Emeril are celebrity chefs, and Steven Spielberg is a famous movie director. The joke seems to be that if the laboratory hadn't hired the two renowned chefs, Spielberg wouldn't have made a movie in which Rachael's and Emeril's characters are killed off horribly.
- Megan: A spoon crossed with a fork is a spork.
- Off-panel Megan's voice: Our lab has successfully crossed a spork with a spoon. [Diagram showing the fractions of fork and spoon in each item.]
- [Chart showing possible combinations of spoons a forks.]
- Megan, facing audience: With your funding, we could create hybrids in proportions corresponding to any binary fraction.
- [Fork-Spoon Spectrum.]
- Audience member: You're toying with powerful forces here.
- Megan: We know what we're doing.
- Two weeks later:
- [Picture of a destroyed lab with two dead bodies, blood everywhere and a spoon-fork hybrid hopping away.]
- Hop hop hop.