Title text: On the other hand, physicists like to say physics is to math as sex is to masturbation.
Mathematics is the abstract study of topics encompassing quantity, structure, space, change, and others. Physics is a natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force. They do this using mathematics. Chemistry is the science of matter, especially its chemical reactions, but also its composition, structure and properties. That is, they study a subset of physics, using a subset of physics. Biology is the subset of chemistry that is concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy. Psychology is the study of mental functions and behaviors, why living things do what they do individually, which makes it a subset of Biology. Sociology is the study of society, or, the study of groups of people and their interactions, which sounds an awful lot like taking the skills of Psychology and applying them.
Taking this logic to the extreme, one can say that a field is 'more pure', and thus matters more, than the fields derived from it. This is a topic often used in jokes between scientists of various fields as to who is more important. The physicist, of which everyone else's work is based upon, feels that he is at the top... but is ultimately upstaged by the mathematician, who's field is so pure that ultimately everything else could be seen as derived from it. After all, physics could not exist without math, thus ultimately everything can be expressed as a mathematical equation. Thus, the mathematician snobbishly says that he didn't even see any of the other fields standing so far over to the left on the graph.
The title text jokes about mathematicians, the real joy at this real world is just physics.
- Fields arranged by purity
- [An arrow is shown pointing right with the text 'more pure'. Six people are shown representing six scientific fields. They stand on a scale of purity with the left end representing less purity and the right representing more purity. They appear in this order, from left to right: Sociology, Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics. The mathematician stands much further to the right than any other field.]
- Psychologist: Sociology is just applied Psychology.
- Biologist: Psychology is just applied Biology.
- Chemist: Biology is just applied Chemistry
- Physicist: Which is just applied Physics. It's nice to be on top.
- Mathematician: Oh, hey, I didn't see you guys all the way over there.