Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Randall points out the Virginia creeper is a plant with 5 green leaves that can be used as a rope. He then points out that poison ivy is another vine like plant with 3 green leaves that also grows near camping areas - but causes skin rashes. His girlfriend is into light bondage (being tied up for erotic purposes) and implying that the area around their tent was too dark to differentiate between the two vines when he went looking for some impromptu rope. This resulted in him getting the wrong "vine" and afterwards their relationship status is "strained".
The title text refers to the fact that many modern tents are self-supporting and no longer require rope to put up, which would have avoided the need to look for vines.
add a comment!
- Virginia Creeper: Vines useful as impromptu rope
- Poison Ivy: Grows in same habitat as Virginia Creeper
- Girlfriend: Into light bondage
- Area around campsite: Too dark to see
- Relationship after camping trip: Strained
But the vines were still needed for bondage! Guru-45 (talk) 02:18, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- IRIA the unavailable alternative being tent guy-ropes retasked towards... fun purposes... Not that vines were in any way needed for canvas support/tensioning. Of course, for the duration of such entertainment, the tent may be at most partially supported so probably only a fair weather activity. 126.96.36.199 14:01, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
Am I the only one who sees this comic's structure paralleling the MasterCard Priceless commercials?188.8.131.52 05:28, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
Randall is SO right in that poison ivy and Virginia creeper like to grow near each other. But I don't know what type of creeper he has growing around his house, but in the mid-Atlantic states Virginia creeper the vine itself has a burred or jagged surface that not only gives it a high level of resistance in trying to pull it out of overgrowth but that surface secretes something that leaves the skin with a mild burn and/or itching sensation for a few hours after. So, more appropriate for moderate bondage, I would imagine…--184.108.40.206
18:11, 23 September 2013 (UTC)