579: The Race: Part 3
|The Race: Part 3|
Title text: No, the best things about The Sarah Connor Chronicles were: (1) watching Sarah and Cameron try to pass for normal, and (2) Cameron throwing people and things through walls. Everything else was pretty secondary.
Firefly was a television series aired by Fox in 2002 that got cancelled mid-way through, but it has a large fan base nowadays (for a more comprehensive explanation, see the Wikipedia page). The star of the show was Captain Malcolm (or Mal) Reynolds, played by Nathan Fillion. Other members of his crew were Kaylee (played by Jewel Staite), the ship's mechanic, Inara Serra (played by Morena Baccarin) was a Companion (or, as Mal would say: whore) that helped Serenity (the spaceship) gain a landing on many planets that otherwise would have nothing to do with Mal. River Tam (played by Summer Glau) was the seemingly crazy younger sister of Dr. Simon Tam (played by Sean Maher), and due to her latent psionic powers and the damage from the experiments she had undergone, she was known for making odd, out-of-context statements.
When Cueball is introduced to the first two women, he learns that they behave in real life as on the Firefly show (Summer is strange and Jewel is a mechanical wiz) - this is why he begins to ask about Morena Baccarin, and also why the other two says no. before he can finish the question is she really a prostitute?
In the last panel, Kaylee apparently wired up Mal's controller to broadcast on the frequency of Cueball's skateboard, so it took control of his board, where Mal's stood still. (Buy a few RC models (Radio-controlled model) to play with friends and inevitably this will happen. Where two controllers broadcast on the same frequency, so the two models are confused by the signals they receive.)
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was a television series aired by Fox from 2008-09. Summer Glau played the role of Cameron, a Terminator; Cameron was played in a distinctly "strange" manner as a humanoid robot who finds much about humanity puzzling. Combined with her role as River Tam, the joke is that it wasn't Summer's characters who were eccentric, but that Summer Glau herself is actually just as strange and eccentric as she is shown to be on screen.
All comics in "The Race" series:
- 577: The Race: Part 1
- 578: The Race: Part 2
- 579: The Race: Part 3 (this one)
- 580: The Race: Part 4
- 581: The Race: Part 5
This series was released on five consecutive days(Monday-Friday) and not over the usual Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule.
Electric skateboards have been the subject of several other comics like 139: I Have Owned Two Electric Skateboards, 409: Electric Skateboard (Double Comic) and a panel in 442: xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel.
- [Nathan, Cueball, and Summer Glau standing around with electric skateboards.]
- Nathan: Meet a few of my friends. This is-
- Cueball: Summer Glau! You were the best part of Chronicles.
- Summer: I eat my bodyweight in food every 31 days. That's slightly faster than the human average.
- [Summer stares off into space.]
- Nathan: Yeah, there's a reason she only plays strange roles.
- Cueball: Ah.
- Summer (from below): I'm part of the floor now.
- [They find Jewel Staite working on a skateboard's engine.]
- Nathan: And this is Kaylee.
- Jewel: My name is Jewel, Nathan.
- Nathan: Kaylee—
- Jewel: Jewel.
- Nathan: —Jewel is fixin' up my new board.
- Jewel: Almost done!
- Cueball: So wait. Summer's actually weird, Jewel's actually a mechanical whiz...
- Cueball: ...will Morena Baccarin be here? Is she really a—
- Nathan and Jewel: No.
- The racers set up
- [Nathan and Jewel are to the far left of a full-width panel. Nathan is standing on his skateboard holding a controller. Cueball is on his skateboard which is careening out of control on the far right of the panel.]
- Nathan: Kaylee, I've been gunnin' the radio hand throttle thingy for a while, but it ain't movin'.
- Jewel: Oh, I must've set it to the wrong frequency!
- Cueball (riding around on haywire board): AAAAAAAA
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!