Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic displays Cueball's fears that his attempts to strike up a conversation with Megan will only result in her rejecting him and even humiliating him in front of others for attempting to get to know her. The others interpret his behavior as sexual harrassment, the exaggerated flip-side of his attempted courtship.
However, ironically, Megan is actually attracted to Cueball and is dismayed that he has not spoken to her. Therefore Cueball's fears are unfounded and are even preventing the two from meeting and possibly forming a relationship.
The title text is the continuation of Megan's apparent journal entry and further emphasizes the irony of the situation: in the attempt to be alluring to Cueball, Megan took out her "adorable new netbook," the very thing Cueball stopped himself from complimenting.
- [Two people are sitting on chairs.]
- Cueball: Hey, cute netbook.
- Megan: What.
- Cueball: Your laptop. I just—
- Megan: No, why are you talking to me.
- Megan: Who do you think you are? If I were even slightly interested, I'd have shown it.
- Megan: Hey everyone, this dude's hitting on me.
- Voice #1: Haha
- Voice #2: Creepy
- Voice #3: Let's get his picture for Facebook to warn others.
add a comment!
- [This panel fades into a thought bubble of Cueball.]
- [Megan is typing on her laptop.]
- Dear blog,
- Cute boy on train still ignoring me.
Is the real-life example unwarranted? Greyson (talk) 15:26, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
- Admirably done. I like the link. In future, though, the wiki-engine doesn't know what single returns means, so if you want a paragraph break hit enter twice. lcarsos_a (talk) 16:07, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
A hint for girls, we all have the SAME fears, don't be afraid to find out who we are on the inside :) - E-inspired (talk) 04:46, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
- Uh...men typically don't have to worry about getting harassed, assaulted, or killed like women do. At least not to the same degree. Your nervousness about being turned down is not the same as the woman's fear of being attacked. 126.96.36.199 20:57, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for making this comment. It perfectly outlines the exact type of conceited, one sided views that are being used by tumblr feminists in their crusade for "safety" and "equality". The idea that men are all some sort of all powerful being, incapable of being abused or raped is not only factually wrong, but actually perpetuates the abuses against them as more and more men stop coming forward for fear of looking weak. You speak as if you have knowledge in this field, but that just can't be the case. If you did, you would be much better educated as to the real breakdowns of sexual violence per gender, and know just how ridiculous your claims are. 188.8.131.52 20:11, 12 August 2013 (UTC)
- What girl wants to be with a guy who is so introspective and nervous that he can't talk to girls? A hint for guys, grow a pair. 184.108.40.206 02:29, 24 January 2014 (UTC)
It seems pretty obvious to me that the comic intends to point out the paralyzing paranoia men can have about interacting with women, and the description as it is seems to refuse to explain the comic out of sheer disagreement. 220.127.116.11 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
The comments here, with the call for men to "grow a pair" combined with the (false) claim that women are at greater danger of being attacked than men (seemingly offered as justification for unreasonable female caution or hostility toward men), are a perfect illustration of why this anomie exists.18.104.22.168
03:05, 30 March 2014 (UTC)