Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
At 5:30 AM, one sometimes comes up with things that seem like nonsense later.
None of the twelve panels in this comic seem to have any correlation with one another, each one being its own "story," and none of them really making any sense. It is unknown whether Randall really wrote this comic while awake at 5:30 in the morning, or if he wrote it while completely alert, and as a way of saying what one's mind may experience when trying to process information at an hour when the person is not used to being awake.
The title text could actually refer to two different panels. If a person chooses to read the comic left-to-right, top-to-bottom, the eighth panel could be the one with where Cueball asks "Does being a mermaid for five minutes make you gay?" However, if a person chooses to read the comic top-to-bottom, left-to-right, the eighth panel will instead be the one with Cueball hanging upside down shouting "Bachelor party!"
- Comics from 5:30 AM
- [A succession of unrelated and completely random panels.]
- Cueball: It's 80's night at the club. Wanna go?
- Friend: There is no Tuesday.
- Cueball: Jack the Ripper or Jack Black?
- [Cueball in this panel is holding a glinting sword.]
- Friend: You crashed my helicopter!
- Cueball: Verily!
- [A small figure is talking with a larger figure.]
- Figure 1: Basically, neither of us have shins.
- Figure 2: Over and out.
- [Two men are shown: one with three arms, and another with just two. All arms have round appendages at their ends.]
- Men: shitshitshitshitshitshitdaylightsavingsshitshitshitshitsh
- [Two figures with pumpkins (carved with faces) for heads.]
- Figure 1: You're out of ointment and out of time!
- [A diagram of a right-angled triangle, with a theta at the smallest angle.]
- FUCK THE COSINE
- Friend: Does being a mermaid for five minutes make you gay?
- Cueball: I hope so!
- [The friend is holding a gun to Cueball's head.]
- Friend: Barbershops are for pussies.
- Friend: My hair is bleeding.
- Cueball: √3
- [Cueball seems to be walking on the ceiling.]
- Cueball: Bachelor party!
- [Warning sign with picture of an ant.]
- WARNING: STRETCHY DEATH
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Do we need to attempt to explain any of them? --Quicksilver (talk) 14:33, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
- Sure, the name of this site is explainxkcd.--Dgbrt (talk) 19:33, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
- Well then this sort of thing merits an incomplete tag, not pages for which the grammar is slightly off! There should be a tag for explanations that do not explain enough (Incomplete) that is separate from that for copy-edits and such. Blow me if many pages marked Incomplete are far more complete than this one. --Quicksilver (talk) 21:39, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
Here's my attempt at a partial explanation: I always thought panel 10 (if you read it left to right, top to bottom) was making a joke on how both of the things said were irrational, "My hair is bleeding" for the obvious reasons, and "√3" as it's an irrational number. Panel 9 could be the guy's friend trying to cut his hair with bullets because it's more "manly" than going to the barber. RoseEmanuel (talk)
Just pointing out that when discussing the eighth (as well as the second, fifth, and eleventh) panel, it makes no diference whether you'r reading left to right or right to left (as long as your going side to side, top to bottom). if going top to bottom, side to side, this is true for the fifth through eighth panels.22.214.171.124
Is it just me or couldn't the title "Comics from 5:30" also be deemed a panel (considering it's boxed in)? In which case I really have no idea what Mr Munroe's preferences are... 126.96.36.199
Does Mr.Munroe (or Dr.Munroe?) ever watch this? I bet he's smiling at his own genius (well deserved, of course) of making his fans quarrel over the random ideas he had. Just like black hat. (I do want to conspire and say he has an account with a pseudonym just to throw us off, if we ever came close to the truth. )
And yes, I do wear tin foil hats too. Duh! /s 188.8.131.52 21:22, 8 April 2014 (UTC)BK201
The first stick figure in Panel #5 seems to have three arms --gg109 184.108.40.206 10:26, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
I though he was just waving his arm frantically, taking into account he was cursing frantically aswell Brackeel (talk) 05:34, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
The panel 5 figures appear to have hands, unlike regular figures, just as a clock has hands, and their hands appear stretched similar to the hands of a clock. Perhaps because daylight savings adds an extra hour the one figure got an extra hand, which appears about an hour in distance from the presumed original hand. The shitshitshit could be explained as onomatopoeia for a clock ticking sound. 220.127.116.11 09:52, 14 February 2016 (UTC)B Bandit
Panel 11 - is He doing a kegstand? 18.104.22.168 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
For some reason, I really like this strip. The complete chaos appeals to a part of me and made me laugh uncontrollably the first time that I saw this. This and Shrodener's comic appeal to the nihilist in me, having chaos+swearing=pants-shitting hilarity. That is why my username ends in 68. RedHatGuy68 (talk)