Title text: I read in this one article that the breaking of electroweak symmetry is the reason we have SOULS. This guy with a degree said so!
In the beginning of the comic, Megan is trying to break a wine glass like an opera singer. This is a rather famous trick where the vocalist sings at the resonant frequency (or natural frequency) of the glass and cause it to resonate more and more until it can no longer handle the stress and breaks (for more info, watch the Mythbusters episode about the Earthquake Machine). If the resonant frequency of the glass is outside of the singer's range, then putting some water in the glass will lower its resonant frequency. (This effect can be used to play different notes on the rim of a glass by varying the amount of water in it. For example, see this video)
The term "God Particle" was coined by 1993 by physicist Leon Lederman to describe the Higgs boson because it is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive." Many people misinterpret the name to be some kind of link between physics and religion, so physics is getting back at them by playing pranks that resemble famous miracles from Christian mythology:
- Jesus turned water into wine at the marriage in Cana.
- At the last supper, Jesus turned wine into his blood. †
The title text references to the fact that people would believe anything that comes from someone with a college degree, since the degree implies that he was highly educated, thus very knowledgeable.
- [Megan is singing, Cueball is staring at a glass of water on a table.]
- Megan: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... Anything break?
- Cueball: No, but the water in the glass turned to wine.
- [Cueball picks up glass]
- Megan: Weird.
- Cueball: No, wait. This is blood.
- Megan: Okay, Physics, quit fucking with us.
- Physics: You stop looking for the higgs boson and we'll talk.