863: Major in the Universe
|Major in the Universe|
Title text: I hear Steven Levitt is writing a book analyzing A.J. Jacobs' quest to spend a year reading everything Malcolm Gladwell ever wrote. The audiobook will be narrated by Robert Krulwich of Radiolab.
In this comic, several authors are referenced. Malcolm Gladwell is a Canadian author who wrote such books as "The Tipping Point", "Outliers" and "Blink". Steven Levitt is one of the co-authors of the book, "Freakonomics" and also the Freakonomics blog on NYTimes.com.
In this comic, Cueball as a college student, meeting with his adviser or professor trying to decide what to major in. He decides to major in "The Universe", but when his adviser details the real work required of that major, Cueball scratches his head and tells what he really means. If you have not read Malcolm Gladwell's books, they all are slightly similar and details Gladwell's different "discoveries" about the world based on things that have happened.
- [Cueball before a professor]
- Cueball: How can I pick a major? I'm interested in everything! Can't I major in "the universe"?
- Professor: Okay. First, I'll need papers on every European trade summit that did not result in an agreement. Then, spend a year memorizing every microprocessor instruction set ever used in a production chip.
- [Cueball scratches head]
- Cueball: What I meant was I just want to read Malcolm Gladwell books and drink.
- Professor: We all do, sweetie.