864: Flying Cars
Title text: It's hard to fit in the backseat of my flying car with my android Realdoll when we're both wearing jetpacks.
Cueball is complaining to Megan over the phone about the lack of flying cars even though it is the year 2011. Megan counters that phone technology has taken off. In the past it was predicted that we would have flying cars and two-way wrist radios by today. The flying car is still not perfected (although there are some awesome prototypes flying today) but the two way wrist radio pales in comparison to the current state of smart phones.
He chooses to be resentful about the lack of flying cars rather than be amazed at the current state of computers and communication technology. Like many people, he is missing the forest while looking for a particular tree.
The title text references Realdoll, known as "the world's finest lovedoll", and jetpacks, another invention that many people were expecting to have by this point in time.
This strip is quoted at the top of the TvTope article I Want My Jetpack, having a similar theme to the strip.
- Cueball (on telephone): It's 2011. I want my flying car.
- Answer from telephone: Dude.
- Megan (on telephone): You're complaining to me using a phone on which you buy and read books, and which you were using to play a 3D shooter until I interrupted you with what would be a video call if I were wearing a shirt.
- Cueball: Can't I have flying cars, too?
- Answer from telephone: You'd crash it while texting and playing angry birds.