883: Pain Rating
Title text: If it were a two or above I wouldn't be able to answer because it would mean a pause in the screaming.
In medical examinations, a doctor will sometimes ask the patient to assess their pain, to give the doctor a rough idea of the patient's condition. In the comic, Cueball is asked to compare the pain in his arm with the worst pain that he can imagine, and the thought of that pain reduces him to a huddled ball.
The title text further emphasizes that idea, stating that if the pain was higher than a 2 on his pain scale, it would already be so high that he would be reduced to uncontrollable screaming.
- [Ponytail is carrying a clipboard and consulting with Cueball, who's sitting on a high medical table.]
- Ponytail: Any pain?
- Cueball: My arm really hurts.
- [Megan is standing behind Ponytail, as the panel widens.]
- Ponytail: How would you rate the pain, from one to ten, where ten is the worst pain you can imagine?
- [The patient sits on the table.]
- Patient: The worst pain I can imagine?
- [Cueball ponders this, raising a thoughtful hand to his jaw.]
- [Cueball appears to be shocked.]
- [Cueball is huddled up on the table.]
- Cueball: One.
- Ponytail: ... What the hell is wrong with his imagination?
- Megan: It's not a normal place.