891: Movie Ages
Title text: If you're 15 or younger, then just remember that it's nevertheless probably too late to be a child prodigy.
Based on the person you are talking to, take their age on the far left, add "Did you realize that..." add the corresponding movie that is across from their age then "...came out..." add the phrase at the end of row.
E.g. - If a person is 30, then it would go a little something like this "Did you realize that Home Alone came out more than 20 years ago?"
This would make people feel old because certain movies that they felt were close to them are actually aging quickly. In a way, this chart likens the age of the movie to the age of the person, as the person is about 10 years older than the movie, but as movies have shorter "life cycles" and seem to lose glory quickly, it seems that the movie is very old. However, the age at which a movie is accepted to be old is not nearly as large as the age at which a person is accepted to be old, so the person is not actually that old. This makes it seem that the person is far older than they actually are.
And since this chart is designed to make someone feel old, anyone over 35 gets lumped in with "older people," which no one likes.
The title text is a reference to 447: Too Old For This Shit, in which Randall believes that anyone over the age of 11 has already missed out on their chance to become famous.
- The 2011 Guide to Making People Feel Old
- -Using Movie Release Dates-
- [A chart with 2 columns. First column is labeled 'Their Age,' and is numbered 1 through 35 & 'over 35.' The second column is labeled 'You Say' and is divided into four sub-columns. The first sub-column reads '"Did you realize that...' from 1-35, and the third sub-column says 'Came Out' from 1-35.]
- Age 16: Snakes on a plane... Half a decade ago?"
- 17-19: Revenge of the Sith... More than half a decade ago?"
- 20: Finding Nemo... Eight years ago?"
- 21-22: Shrek... Ten years ago?"
- 23-25: The Matrix... Not the last decade, but the one before that?"
- 26: Toy Story... Over fifteen years ago?"
- 27: The Lion King... Seventeen years ago?"
- 28: Jurassic Park... Eighteen years ago?"
- 29: Terminator 2... Twenty years ago?"
- 30-32: Home Alone... More than twenty years ago?"
- 33-35: The Little Mermaid ... Closer to the moon landing than the present day?
- Over 35: "Hey, did you see this chart? You match your age to movie - oh, right, sorry, it only goes up to 35. I guess it's not really aimed at older people."