899: Number Line
Title text: The Wikipedia page "List of Numbers" opens with "This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it."
- Negative numbers just wanna be positive numbers or some joke of that nature.
- 0.99.... is provably equal to 1 because there is no number between 0.99.... and 1. (Binary 0.0000000000000000000000000001 = 0.0000000037252902984619140625)
- The Golden ratio is the length to width of rectangles that are most pleasing to the eye. The number which is about 1.61803, is the numeric value is called "phi", named for the Greek sculptor Phidias. The Parthenon is a perfect rectangle in size. The number of spirals on the head of Sunflowers are also said to exhibit the Golden mean/ratio.
- Forbidden Region and Unexplored are both map jokes.
- e(Euler's number) is 2.71828... and π(pi) is 3.14159265...
- 2.9299372 is a President's Day reference because it is the average of e and pi just as the American President's Day is always observed on the 3rd Monday of February (between George Washington and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays). (For non-US residents, those were the 1st and 16th Presidents of the USA.)
- Gird Could be a reference to Bleem - a fictional integer between 3 and 4, also see iCarly's Derf - a fictional integer between 5 and 6; and George Carlin's Bleen - a fictional integer between 6 and 7.
- Site of the Battle of 4.108 is not a reference to anything I think it is another map joke.
- You do see often on TV and in the media that "It has been 7 years..." or "In the last 7 years..." etc.
- 8 is not the largest even prime. 2 is. I'm sure this is like the 0.99... entry above, Randall is trying to start internet battles over the subject. Here are all the prime numbers on the chart above: 2, 3, 5, 7.
- The last entry seems to be a reference to discrete mathematics, which rarely deals with numbers higher than 9. Randall again is trying to incite a internet flame war with Mathematicians who study other forms of math.
- [number line ranging from -1 to 10]
- [arrow pointing left, towards negative numbers] Negative "imitator" numbers (do not use)
- [line right before the number one] 0.99... (acutally 0.0000000372 less than 1)
- [line at the golden ratio] Φ - Parthenon; sunflowers; golden ratio; wait, come back, I have facts!
- [line at a region between two and 2.2] forbidden region
- [line at Euler's number] e
- [line a bit before 3] 2.9299372 (e and pi, observed)
- [line at π] π
- [line at 3.5 with a ribbon as the numeral] Gird - accepted as canon by orthodox mathematicians
- [line a bit after 4] site of battle of 4.108
- [blob between 4.5 and 6.5 labeled unexplored]
- [line at seven] Number indicating a factoid is made up ("every 7 years...", "science says there are 7...", etc)
- [line at eight] Largest even prime
- [line at 8.75] If you encounter a number higher than this, you"re not doing real math
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!