945: I'm Sorry
Title text: You know I've always hated her.
In the US (and likely other countries as well), when someone presents the other with bad news, they respond with (as the comic explains) a sympathetic "I'm sorry". That is different than the apologetic "I'm sorry" that a person would give for something that is their fault.
As it says below the comic, Cueball switches his sympathetic "I'm sorry" when Megan does not accept the "I'm sorry" because it was not his fault. Cueball says at the end "I know what I did..." and "You know I've always hated her" as a wild switch to an apologetic "I'm sorry".
- [Two people are standing next to each other having a conversation.]
- Person 1: My Mom's house burned down.
- Person 2: Oh! I'm sorry!
- Person 1: Why? It's not your fault.
- Person 2: It's nice of you to say that, but I know what I did.
- It annoys me when people interpret an obviously sympathetic "I'm sorry" as an apology, so I've started responding by making it one.