Title text: And they both react poorly to showers.
This comic is a reference to the wildly funny video of two Cleverbots talking to each other. By recording and analyzing whatever humans type into its input, they can sound pretty human to whoever is reading their response.
Megan then sums up that as of the release of this comic computers were good at chess and at driving cars through a desert (i.e. a place with no obstacles to hit, this would improve much later with the self-driving cars). But they cannot hold a conversation for five minutes. And she thus concludes that a cleverbot would be perfect for attending Burning Man.
Burning Man is a week long event held yearly in Black Rock City, Nevada. The festival encourages an artistic, anti-establishment philosophy and attracts a broad but devoted following combining hippies, anarchists, nudists, techno-utopians and survivialists. Shows of custom cars on the desert plain is a big part of Burning Man, and mind games like chess are a popular way to pass the time there. However, a common joke about Burning Man attendees is that they can only talk about Burning Man - hence why they can't hold a five minute conversation.
A tradition of Burning Man is not to shower while you are there, mostly because all water must be brought in from offsite. And of course Cleverbot reacts badly in showers because if you do try to shower a Cleverbot, you end up with a shorted out computer.
- [Megan sits on a wheeled computer chair at a desk. A laptop computer is on the desk playing some sort of media with audio. Megan is facing away from the computer addressing someone off panel.]
- Megan: Did you see the Cleverbot-Cleverbot chat?
- Computer: I am not a robot. I'm a unicorn.
- [In the next frameless panel, Megan has wheeled away from the desk and is now seating in front of Cueball who holds one hand up as he replies.]
- Cueball: Yeah. It's hilarious, but it's just clumsily sampling a huge database of lines people have typed. Chatterbots still have a long way to go.
- [A close-up of Megan's head and shoulders. She has a hand to her chin and appears to be contemplating the last remark.]
- Megan: So... Computers have mastered playing chess and driving cars across the desert, but can't hold five minutes of normal conversation?
- Cueball (off-screen): Pretty much.
- [Both are shown again, Cueball with his hands down.]
- Megan: Is it just me, or have we created a Burning Man attendee?
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!