Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
| || |
== New here? ==
== New here? ==
Revision as of 20:26, 5 December 2012
Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We already have Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character ",". comic explanations!
(But there are still Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character ",". to go. Come and add yours!)
Go to this comic
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Missing explanations for most of the various files.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Cueball is sifting through a pile of old files, either a theoretical one that exists on a hard drive, making fun of how hard it is to search through old files, or a real room of old hard drives. He discovers several files he is embarrassed about, including a poetry file that surprises him, since he does not remember writing poetry, and an "Animorphs Novel" mentioned in the title text, most likely a fan fiction of the Animorphs series, although possibly a copy of one of the original books.
This comic came out the day after Sky News published the story of original Andy Warhol artwork, created in 1985 on an Amiga 1000, was recovered from recently found floppy disks.
- Documents 47GB Documents is the special folder on Windows Vista and newer Microsoft operating systems that holds user files. Notice how the folders get smaller when they are from older systems (with less storage).
- Video projects
- Old desktop 12GB
- Facebook pics
- Pics from other camera
- Misc PDFs
- Recovered from drive crash 4GB
- Work misc
- Audio books
- My documents 570MB My Documents is the special folder on Windows XP and older Microsoft operating systems that holds user files.
- Kazaa is an internet file sharing service.
- AYB is an acronym for "All your base are belong to us", a badly translated phrase from video game Zero Wing. This could be a copy of this game or a of the popular video that was created to make fun of the bad translation in this game.
- EV Override is a video game originally written for the Apple Macintosh.
- Angband is a rogue-like computer game.
- GIFs An image format that is still used for storing lossless images, but before the rise of JPG encryption widely accepted for storing all images.
- Fight club.wmv A Windows Media encode of Fight club (1999).
- Elasto Maina is a 2D motorbike computer game
- AIM Direct Connect files: AIM is an instant messenger that allows sending binary data (images etc.) using a direct connection.
- ICQ is an early (1996) instant messenger client.
- High school zip disk 94MB: zip disks where a popular storage medium in the late 90's before being replaced by rewritable CD's and later USB thumbdrives.
- Gorilla.bas is one of the games that came with QBasic.
- AOL Citadel
- NYET is a Tetris clone written for MS DOS in 1988.
- Korn midi
- Photos3 Prom
- QBasic is an IDE and intepreter for a dialect of the BASIC programming language, originally bundled with MS-DOS 5.0 and newer
- AAAFiles 9.4MB
- TXT 850K
- Megan (on top of stack of files): You OK down there?
- Cueball (deep inside stack): Oh my god. I wrote POETRY.
Is this out of date? Clicking here will fix that.
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a complete table of all xkcd comics so far and the corresponding explanations. The red links (like this) are missing explanations. Feel free to help out by creating them!
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations, feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to—and helping everyone better understand—xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited.) Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users posting such are at risk of being blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, feel free to leave a message on their personal discussion page. The list of admins is here.
Explain xkcd logo courtesy of User:Alek2407.