Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We already have 4 comic explanations!
(But there are still 1992 to go. Come and add yours!)
Go to this comic
This is comic number 1996, for the comic with the name 1996 click here: 768: 1996
Title text: Support your local paper, unless it's just been bought by some sinister hedge fund or something, which it probably has.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a DEAR OLD GRANNY - Please change this comment when editing this page. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
Megan is complaining to Hairbun about her easy access to infuriating national news stories and bad opinions and worries that it may be having an effect on her. Hairbun sarcastically tells Megan that things were different in her time, stating that access to infuriating national news stories and bad opinions required only a tiny bit more time during a morning routine. Megan counters this idea and says that while it is true they also had much more local news mixed in and that there were no bad opinions. Hairbun agrees with Megan on the former and suspiciously suggests that Megan not check the later.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Megan, looking on a smartphone in her hand, and Hairbun are standing together and talk.]
- Megan: Every morning, before my eyes even focus all the way, I read a bunch of infuriating national news stories and bad opinions. I wonder what this is doing to my brain.
- Megan: It's probably not great.
- [Zoom in to the head of Hairbun.]
- Hairbun: Back in my day, we had to pay people to print out infuriating news stories and bring them to our door. And we waited until we had stumbled out to the kitchen to read them.
- Hairbun: Totally different.
- [Frameless panel, zoom out on both while Megan has lowered her hand holding the phone.]
- Megan: OK, fair. But newspapers at least had more local news mixed in, right?
- Hairbun: Yeah, true.
- Megan: I bet they weren't full of bad opinions.
- Hairbun: Yyyyyes.
- Hairbun: All our opinions were good. It was a remarkable time.
- Hairbun: Please don't go check.
Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the explain xkcd wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a complete table of all xkcd comics so far and the corresponding explanations. The red links (like this) are missing explanations. Feel free to help out by creating them!
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations, feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to—and helping everyone better understand—xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited.) Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users posting such are at risk of being blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, feel free to leave a message on their personal discussion page. The list of admins is here.
Explain xkcd logo courtesy of User:Alek2407.