Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have an explanation for all 1301 xkcd comics,
and only 0
(0%) are incomplete. Help us finish them!
Go to this comic explanation
|Year in Review|
Title text: All in all, I give this year a C-. There were no aurora visible from my house and that comet evaporated. They'd better not cancel the 2017 eclipse.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by only one person.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Many news organizations will review the entire year in late December (typically before the year has actually ended, so occasionally they are hit by a surprise afterwards). Cueball probably expects Megan to talk about the rollout of Obamacare, the death of Nelson Mandela, or various celebrity scandals; instead, Megan only cares about one thing: she never saw an aurora borealis (or australis), the dazzling natural geomagnetic light display.
The title text refers to Comet ISON. In February, a rough estimate of the comet's behavior predicted that it would become brighter than the full moon, a prediction that was widely reported by the media even though it was based on limited data and astronomers knew that it would not reach this brightness. In the end, although it was visible to the naked eye, it was never as bright as anybody hoped and apparently disintegrated in November (although a small core may remain).
The title text also refers to the 2017 total eclipse, which will be visible (as a partial eclipse) for a few hours throughout North America on August 21 Monday, including a 100-mile band across the United States where it will be a total eclipse for a couple of minutes in the early afternoon. Although the weather may be cloudy, eclipses are highly predictable, so Megan is being extremely pessimistic to even suggest that it might not occur.
All in all, the comic suggests that the only events of significance to occur in any year are astronomical ones; the actions of humanity pale in comparison.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Cueball, the TV host, introduces Megan, the reporter.]
- Cueball: We go live to our 2013: Year in Review!
- Megan: Thanks! In 2013, I didn't see an aurora.
- Cueball: I- what?
- Megan: The northern lights. I thought this would finally be the year. But it didn't happen.
- Cueball: Oh. Uh...what about the rest of the year?
- Megan: What do you mean?
- Cueball: Any big news stories?
- Megan: Oh yeah, tons.
- [Megan looks off screen to her left.]
- Cueball: ...Well, that was 2013: Year in Review.
- Megan: The sky's clearing up. I'll be outside.
- [Megan walks off camera.]
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a table of most recent xkcd comics and links to the rest, and the corresponding explanations. There are incomplete explanations listed here. Feel free to help out by expanding them!
- If you see that a new comic hasn't been explained yet, you can create it: Here's how.
- We sell advertising space to pay for our server costs. To learn more, go here.
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to —and helping everyone better understand— xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited). Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.