1018: Good Cop, Dadaist Cop
|Good Cop, Dadaist Cop|
Title text: NOW INVENT AN IMPOSSIBLE-TO-TRANSLATE LANGUAGE AND USE IT TO TELL US WHERE THE MONEY IS.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Language, layout, and the title text is missing.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This is a play on the police interrogation strategy of "Good cop/bad cop", in which two officers take on contrary roles to get the suspect to give the required information. One interrogator establishes a sympathetic relationship with the subject while the other interrogator is antagonistic and threatening. The goal of this is to make the subject trust the “good cop” and to reveal the desired information.
In this comic, the interrogators (Cueball and Ponytail) use the "good cop, Dadaist cop" strategy to get information from Hairy. The overview of the Dadaists given by Wikipedia says they used “artistic expression that appeared to reject logic and embrace chaos and irrationality”. As such, it is not an effective interrogation technique.
The incongruities of two of Ponytail’s questions are clear: “WHY ARE MY BONES SO SMALL?” and “What's wrong with ART?” are non sequiturs. The first question has two levels to its absurdity. Mark Zuckerberg (the co-founder of Facebook) was reported in 2011 to be living in a house he rented, so he would not have a mortgage. Nor would any mortgage be written in a liturgical language like Church Latin.
The title text adds one more absurdity: the whereabouts of the money cannot be conveyed to Ponytail if the information were expressed in a newly-invented language that cannot be translated.
- [Two cops look through a window into an interrogation chamber holding a handcuffed suspect.]
- Good Cop: All right, let's try good cop, dadaist cop
- [Good Cop is seated in front of the suspect.]
- Good Cop: Look, you're a good guy. We can work this out. Hey, lemme get us some coffee.
- [CHANGE PLACES.]
- [Dadaist Cop holds up a document of indeterminate contents and threatens the suspect with it.]
- Dadaist Cop: See this? It's Mark Zuckerberg's Mortgage. So why is it written in CHURCH LATIN?
- [Dadaist cop physically rattles the suspect.]
- Dadaist Cop: WHY ARE MY BONES SO SMALL?
- Suspect: What's WRONG with you!?
- Dadaist Cop: What's wrong with ART?