Title text: Someone bring me a pocket fan so I can drift around the yard.
In the opening panel of this comic an unknown woman sees Cueball sitting on a swing set. She tells him that during his swing he becomes weightless. Cueball then imagines that at the peak of his swing he is able to become permanently weightless, floating above the ground without any support.
When on a swing or other pendulum ride, there is a moment between swinging forwards/backwards and swinging back down again when the forces of gravity, friction, air resistance, etc., bring the velocity of the swing to zero. At this moment, there is no acceleration toward the pivot of the swing (since the centripetal acceleration is proportional to the square of the speed). So the swinger experiences no centrifugal force. Of course gravity still acts on the person, but if the swing is horizontal at that point, then the there is no reaction force, so for one moment the swinger is in free-fall and experiences weightlessness.
In the title text Cueball asks for a pocket fan, believing he could fly around the garden using this small device perhaps as a propeller.
- [Woman talking to Cueball on swing-set.]
- Woman: You know, at the peak of a big swing, you become weightless.
- [Thought bubble from Cueball.]
- [Cueball swings higher and higher. At the peak of a big swing he shoves off the swing. Cueball remains hovering in the air.]
- Cueball: Hey guys. Come check this out.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!