Title text: But the past was much too cramped!
Cueball is in the last panel (the future) but somehow manages to get his message into the first panel (the past). Megan answers in the first panel but somehow her message gets to Cueball in the last panel.
This comic can be interpreted in several ways. First, it is not clear if Cueball's question is intended for Megan alone, for both Megan and Hairy or at the past world in general. If the question is intended for several people, the comic is just about how one could sometimes desire to know the future without waiting for it, however time flows at its usual rate and there's no way around this.
If the question is intended only for Megan, it means Cueball is asking Megan to become his girlfriend. She answers she can't maybe because, as before, time runs at its usual rate and she can't go faster; or maybe because she's already with Hairy (they're shown holding hands) and she's not leaving Hairy for Cueball.
Finally, the Cueball in the future could just be the very same person as the Hairy in the past, having become bald as he gets older. In this scenario, Cueball is just missing Megan, who was with him in the past but no longer is, maybe even because she has died in between.
In the title text Cueball seems to be considering to go back to the past, but he rejects doing so because, having seen the future, now the past doesn't look attractive.
- [The comic has three panels. In the first panel, Hairy and Megan are holding hands. There is a voice bubble originating from Cueball standing in the third panel.]
- Cueball: Come explore the future with me!
- [And Megan says something which goes to the third panel.]
- [The two voice bubbles cross in the middle of the second panel.]
- [The voice of Megan says…]
- Megan: I can't.