381: Mobius Battle
Title text: Films need to do this more, if only to piss off the people who have to feed it into the projector.
A Möbius strip is an object with only one surface and one edge. It can be simulated (imperfectly) in our universe by taking a strip of paper and twisting it 180 degrees before attaching both ends together.
The idea of the Möbius strip has been used here to create a comic strip that could potentially loop forever. In it, a man is standing in front of a ball. Then another man runs in and kicks the first man out of the panel. The second man then turns away, retaining the first man's original position, only flipped horizontally. Because of the nature of the Möbius strip, if the comic strip were to be printed out in such a way that the comic could be seen on both sides of the paper, the comic would repeat, so that the second man would become the first man, and someone else, potentially the original first person, would push them out of the comic becoming himself the first man.
The comic's viability as a Möbius strip is preserved the use of symmetrical letters in a palindromic word to denote laughing ("HAHAHAH") as well as using symmetrical punctuation for the other character's grawlixes. A similar use of a Möbius strip in story-telling can be seen in Wind and Mr. Ug by Vi Hart.
Finally, at the title text, Randall jokes that he would like to see actual films do this solely as a joke on projectionists, who would have a difficult time feeding a Mobius strip film reel properly into a normal projector due to the twist.
- [A man is standing next to a ball, a flash appears on the left side of the panel.]
- [Another man comes in from the left, preparing to kick the ball.]
- [The other man kicks the ball into the first man's head.]
- [The first man is lying outside of the frame, second man points and laughs.]
- Second man: HAHAHAH
- First man: !#^*!*
- [Second man is now standing next to the ball.]
- [To the right, the strip above is looped around like a film strip, but a one-half-turn is put into the loop to make it a Mobius strip.]
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!