528: Windows 7
Title text: Disclaimer: I have not actually tried the beta yet. I hear it's quite pleasant and hardly Hitler-y at all.
Megan is observing Cueball use a laptop on which he has installed the Windows 7 beta. However, the alleged Windows 7 beta is showing nothing but a picture of Adolf Hitler and Cueball is unable to do anything. Cueball then presses Control-Alt-Delete (the well-known Windows Secure Attention Sequence which opens Task Manager or displays a list of options which includes 'Shut Down' and 'Restart') as suggested by Megan, but only manages to make the picture's eyes flash.
The fourth panel shows Megan commenting that this Windows 7 beta is better than Windows Vista, to which Cueball agrees. The joke is that Megan deems a mostly non-functional OS better than Windows Vista, which had problems that were mocked in Apple Mac OS TV commercials.
The title text is a disclaimer stating that Randall has not tried the beta at the time this comic was written, but what he has heard about it he regards as at least mildly positive. However, he also damns it by faint praise, referring to it as hardly Hitler-y at all, a statement that could raise warning flags, as one would not generally expect an operating system to be able to be described as Hitler-y to any degree at all. "Hitler-y" is implied to mean pertaining to or having qualities similar to Adolf Hitler, the late German Nazi Party leader.
- [Megan is standing behind Cueball sitting at a desk using his laptop.]
- Megan: What are you doing?
- Cueball: Trying the Windows 7 beta.
- Megan: Why is it showing a picture of Hitler?
- [The laptop's screen is shown with Adolf Hitler's face on it.]
- Cueball: I don't know. I can't get it to do anything else.
- Megan: There's no UI?
- Cueball: No, just Hitler.
- [Return to the original scene, except Megan is now scratching her head in confusion.]
- Megan: Did you try Ctrl-Alt-Delete?
- Cueball: It just makes Hitler's eyes flash.
- Megan: Huh.
- [Scene remains basically the same, except Megan is no longer scratching her head and Cueball is no longer typing on the laptop.]
- Megan: Well, it's better than Vista.
- Cueball: True.