Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
"No pun intended" is an idiom meaning that something just said wasn't meant to be a pun, implying that the preceding statement could be interpreted as one. As done in the comic, following a non-pun with "no pun intended" breaks this implication and confuses listeners.
The title text elicits a similar confused reaction, as the most literate people will be more likely to want to spell out "damn it" rather than using an abbreviated form with morphed spelling.
add a comment!
- My Hobby: Appending "no pun intended" to lines with no pun in them.
- [Cueball is talking to Beret Guy.]
- Cueball: I think he's internalized his girlfriend's attitudes - no pun intended - and so...
- Three hours later:
- [Beret Guy is thinking.]
- Beret Guy: "Internalized?" Lied? Analyzed? Or is it "attitudes"? Dammit.
To be fair, internalising anything from a girlfriend... or a girlfriend internalising anything from a boyfriend.... could have some implications. Which wasn't intended here I'm sure. 188.8.131.52 08:21, 14 March 2013 (UTC)
- Perhaps, but that's not a pun. That's a double entendre in the strictest sense. Anonymous 05:29, 4 December 2013 (UTC)
This needs an incomplete flag. --Mynotoar (talk) 22:31, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
- So, just give us a reason. --Dgbrt (talk) 22:55, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, the title text needs explanation, and I think it needs more detail, especially as it doesn't really explain the punchline. --Mynotoar (talk) 23:13, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
- The incomplete tag is set. I did copy your remarks. --Dgbrt (talk) 20:32, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
Is the fact that this explanation is set as incomplete ironic? Surely the point of this post is that there IS no punchline - the victim is searching the sentence for humour that does not exist. As the alt text explains, the more literate the victim, the more they will agonize over potential wordplay which is simply not present. 184.108.40.206 07:30, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
Inserting "if you'll pardon the pun" into a phrase with no pun is a recurring joke on "A Bit of Fry and Laurie". 220.127.116.11 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)