Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
One of the comics in the "My Hobby" series, this one touches on the fact that Papyrus (the font) is considered to be overused by many typography geeks, including the font's own creator. Pretending that he doesn't know that, Cueball gives Ponytail a heartfelt card written in that font just to see her twitch.
The title text says that Randall actually likes Papyrus, even if it is overused, and refers to Helvetica, another commonly-used sans-serif font.
add a comment!
- My Hobby:
- Getting typography geeks heartfelt cards printed in "Papyrus" and watching them struggle to act grateful.
- [Ponytail is holding a card open and looking at Cueball. An angry tic is flicking on her forehead.]
- Ponytail: Thank you for the *twitch* ... lovely... *twitch* birthday card!
For reasons that should be obvious, I've put the whole page in a certain much-hated font. *Cackles maniacally.* PinkAmpersand (talk) 11:15, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- I rather doubt whether this is really helpful. In my opinion, the purpose of this wiki is to deliver background information about the comics, not to ruminate its jokes. Besides, the page uses some Serif font for me (as I do not have Papyrus installed) which is stylistically inconsistent. If we should reach consent that this page MUST absolutely be in Papyrus, we should at least provide some appropriate fallback font. LotharW (talk) 12:46, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- 1167: Star Trek into Darkness Davidy²²[talk] 13:04, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- I must say I do not particularly like that page either. I think it looks childish and nonserious. Also, a second example does not necessarily justify the first. But as you see, I did not revert or change anything. If it be so, we should at least do it correctly. In the current state, the page looks simply strange to anyone who does not have the font. (As far as I know, it was included only in some versions of Microsoft Office.) Does anybody know whether the license allows web embedding? LotharW (talk) 13:54, 14 May 2013 (UTC)