591: Troll Slayer
Title text: We have met the enemy and he is us.
Stephenie Meyer is the author of the Twilight series, a series of novels popular with young teens. It is a love it or hate it type of novel, with a large following and a large portion of haters as well.
In the comic, 4chan, an imageboard, is featured. Imageboards such as 4chan have the feature to post anonymously. The users of 4chan launch an attack on a Twilight board and Stephenie Meyer asks them to stop. When they refuse, Meyer writes 4chan into her next novel, thereby drawing in a large number of fans of her novel as a counter-attack to what 4chan ran on the Twilight forum. This results in what the original 4chan users consider a ruined imageboard.
The title of the topic is drawn from the internet slang term troll, which refers to actively attempting to get a rise out of a forum. In this instance, 4chan attempted to troll a Twilight board and Meyer acted against the troll, making her a "slayer" of them. (Granted, releasing Twilight fans into 4chan is akin to releasing freshwater fish into a saltwater shark feeding frenzy, but that's beside the point).
The title text refers to Walt Kelly's famous saying. Kelly used it to refer to all of mankind, whereas here it refers to the users of 4chan, by bringing on the enemy of their forum themselves.
- [A website where people can post comments alongside pictures.]
- [Next to a picture of a website.] Hey, let's troll the fuck out of the Twilight boards.
- [Next to a picture of some people.] I'm in. Should be fun.
- [Next to a picture of a man with sword and trumpet.] Me too. Signing on now.
- [Next to a picture of "LOL".] Lol angsty teens.
- Hours Later:
- [Stephenie Meyer, at a computer.]
- Stephenie Meyer: Hi, it's Stephenie Meyer. Fine, you don't like my books. But please leave us alone.
- Hairy: Show us your tits.
- Stephenie Meyer: I asked politely. Don't make me get tough.
- [Hairy at computer.]
- Hairy: And what, call the internet police? You don't get it, do you? We've been trolling for years. We're all anonymous. There's nothing you can do to hurt us. We're the net's hate machine.
- Stephenie Meyer: Okay. Just remember, I gave you a chance. *Disconnected*
- Six Months Later:
- [A page from a book.]
- Vampires! Book VI
- Edward ran a pale hand through his perfect golden-bronze hair, then signed on to 4chan.org, the darkest place on the internet, where all his vampire compatriots spent their time.
- Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the door [...] swept in [...] ing
- [The rest of the page is cut off.]
- Shortly Thereafter:
- [On the same website as the first panel.]
- [Next to a picture of two people hugging.] OMG I love this place it's so edgy being anonymous.
- [Next to a picture of "DAWNE".] Whos your favorite vampire
- [Next to a picture of someone with black hair and shirt.] Check out my pic Im so dark just like this site
- [Next to a picture of a chess piece.] Any Twilight fans in Dallas want to meet a lonely
- [Hairy at his computer.]
- Hairy: Oh... Oh God.