698: You Hang Up First
|You Hang Up First|
Title text: No, YOU stumble past a series of post-breakup hookups in a daze as you slowly realize what you've lost and how unlikely you are ever to get it back first.
Telephone conversations can't terminate until somebody hangs up, even if both participants have run out of things to say. The line "you hang up first" has entered popular culture as an immature thing preteens and teenagers do with their friends and significant others at the end of a phone conversation.
As xkcd often does, this comic takes the "you hang up first" line to its logical extreme with two adults, Cueball and Megan, that turn the game into an argument resulting in their breakup. In the title text, one of them notes that they'll never have the same kind of relationship with anyone ever again, no matter how many rebound relationships they have, and it's all because of one of the stupidest arguments possible. (and then tells the other to do that first)
- [Cueball is sitting on a bed, on the phone.]
- Cueball: You hang up first.
- [Megan is lying on a bed, on the phone.]
- Megan: No, you hang up first.
- Cueball: No, you hang up first.
- Megan: No, you fucking hang up first!
- Cueball: You hang up first, or we're OVER!
- Megan: Then I guess we're fucking OVER!
- Cueball: FINE!
- Megan: ...
- Cueball: ...
- Megan: You move on and find somebody else first.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!