Title text: Oh God, the tornado picked up snakes!
But inspired by this comment Megan, as seen before, acts overly philosophical and says that she is afraid of something not usually mentioned as a phobia. Her sentence is one often used when someone wishes to have a relationship, but one of them uses the excuse to postpone going into such a relationship because everything is complicated right now. If this excuse is used enough times (in a row), then at some point there will not be any more years left (because one of the two either dies, finds another or just gives up). This is what Megan states she is afraid of.
After she has said this, Blondie thinks for quite some time (in the beat panel). When she finally decides to ask Megan if she might want to do something, Megan cuts her off. It seems likely that Blondie has read the situation correctly, and guessed that Megan actually wishes to enter into a serious relationship with her. But when Megan realizes she may have given too much away, she instead tries to prevent this inquiry by suddenly telling Blondie that she wants to be a storm chaser. This is such a strange idea to throw out, and also so far away from having a phobia as it can get, that she prevents the question.
Given the fact that Blondie has an idea that Megan actually have feelings for her, it is not so strange that she now decides to follow Megan's ambition and together they become storm chasers—individuals who pursue severe weather conditions, for either scientific investigation or providing media coverage or an adventure. Ironically, chasing adverse weather, especially tornadoes, is more dangerous than the things that cause the original phobia of either characters. Indeed, one's ability to control the risk while being near a tornado is far less than one's ability to control the risk of being bitten by a snake; the tornado is violent and unpredictable, while snakes only attack humans when they feel threatened. Additionally, one needs to deliberately expose oneself to the snake in order to have any risk of being attacked.
In the title text another element of irony enters as they, while observing the adverse weather, notice that the snakes have been picked up by the tornado, and now, in addition to being exposed to the violence of weather, the main characters are also exposed to snakes falling from the sky.
This comic is related to the movies Snakes on a plane, Twister and Thelma & Louise. The last of these movies has two women friends on a road trip, and in the end they kiss, and there have been several discussions on whether one or both of them are lesbian or not. It is also a reference to the Sharknado (film series)
This is the third comic about tornadoes, a recurring subject on xkcd. Storm chasers hunting tornadoes was also mentioned in the first comic about tornadoes 402: 1,000 Miles North and they were shown for the first time previously in 640: Tornado Hunter.
- [Blondie, with extra long hair and Megan in the background of the image observes a long snake on the ground in the foreground.]
- Blondie: Whoa, a snake!
- Megan: Cool!
- Blondie: I'm afraid of snakes.
- [Zoom in only on Megan's upper half.]
- Megan: I'm afraid of saying "everything's complicated right now, but maybe next year" until there are no more years left.
- [Slim panel with a zoom to a full picture of only Blondie as she considers this. Beat panel.]
- [Same type of image of Megan, who cuts Blondie's reply (from off-panel) off in mid-sentence.]
- Blondie (off-panel): Do you-
- Megan: I want to be a storm chaser.
- [A black tornado reaches from the black storm clouds to the earth, kicking up a sizable cloud of debris at its base. Blondie is at the wheel of a car, with Megan hanging out the window and holding a camera.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!