Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Some people are upset about airport security policies that mandate the use of backscatter X-ray machines, since the machines can create an image of the subject naked. Black Hat is selling Viagra for men as means to thumb their noses (so to speak) at the system by forcing the security guard to see them with erections. The problem with this approach is that the time spent in a line of this length will be far too short for the Viagra to have any effect whatsoever. However, judging by the security guard's thought bubble, he indeed is not looking forward to the images.
At the title text, one of the people in the line explains has a fetish with getting X-ray scanned, and so thus doesn't need Viagra to achieve the above effect.
- [There is an airport security checkpoint where a queue of ten passengers is waiting to go through a backscatter x-ray scanner. Near the back of the line, Black Hat is standing next to a stand which says "Viagra $20". One passenger next to him is drinking a glass of water, probably after having taken pills; another is contemplating the sign.]
- Security Guard (thinking): Oh god.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I don't think it's Black Hat saying the title text but someone else in line. However, I'm not sure so I'm hesitant to edit it.22.214.171.124 15:54, 6 March 2014 (UTC)
I think the point is not about offending the backscatter operator, but more about men not wanting others to view their genitals in the flaccid state. Many men have self-esteem issues about genital size, and would be eager to take a pill that would make them appear larger before exposing themselves in that way. 126.96.36.199 05:29, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
$20 a pill for a now-generic (Pfizer's patent expired in mid-2014) medication is a bit steep, yes? 188.8.131.52 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Not sure how that is in any way relevant, since the comic is from 2010. Are you suggesting that Randall on a regular basis should go back and adjust all his comics for inflation and other market developments? 184.108.40.206 22:35, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- Plus, Black Hat is probably not overmuch concerned with providing a fair price. It's like the vending machines at amusement parks that charge $5 for a bottle of water. --220.127.116.11 20:42, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
Backscattering fetish must be a subset of X-ray porn (which exists - no, really). 18.104.22.168 11:15, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
- I don't know what I expected. I googled it. 22.214.171.124 18:11, 28 April 2015 (UTC)BK201