Title text: I'm only willing to visit placid lakes, salt flats, and painting exhibits until the world's 3D technology improves.
In this comic, Cueball is using the excuse that 3D gives him a headache to get out of going outside into the real world, where everything is in 3D. Instead he stays inside and looks at his 2D computer monitor. In the title text, he says he will only go to flat places (i.e. places where everything he could see would be 2D-like).
This comic was released on April Fools' Day. The April fools joke for 2011 made every comic on the site 3D, thus forcing people like Cueball to endure 3D even at their computer screens. An exception to this is 848: 3D, for which the third dimension is not visible. The 3D view is still available at xk3d.xkcd.com for all comics prior to this one.
In his Øredev 2013 talk Randall mentions that a few of his friends created this 3D view and told him just 1.5 hours before the scheduled comic for that day would go live. Randall quickly drew a 3D themed comic to match.
- [Megan has a bike, and is wearing a helmet. Cueball is at a computer.]
- Megan: Wanna go for a bike ride?
- Cueball: Nah, I hate 3D stuff. It gives me a headache.
- When you think about it, this excuse can get you out of almost anything.
- When clicking the 'next' or 'latest' buttons on the xk3d site, a blue Utah-teapot appears, in random locations and sizes, instead of proceeding. Attempting to proceed beyond via manually pointing the URL elsewhere is not supported.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!