Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic is based on the situation that when someone's eyelash falls out, that person can make a wish on it. This comic appears to be a page from the fictitious Wish Bureau in charge of granting said wishes. And of course the Wisher is Black Hat and he has quite a few wishes, most of them based on the previous wish. A common trope in fiction is that wishing for more wishes is prohibited and for many of his wishes Black Hat attempts to circumvent that.
February 12's wish seems to be a reference to the unlimited breadsticks offered at Olive Garden.
March 7's wish is a reference to Nate Silver, who is a former writer for Baseball Prospectus working on predicting baseball players' stats and now writes for Five Thirty Eight in which he predicts the outcome of elections based on polling data.
And April 22's wish is a reference to the cartoon and video game, Pokemon. A pokéball can be thrown at a Pokémon (or in this case, an annoying pet) to capture it and seal it indefinitely.
add a comment!
This is one of my favorite xkcd comics ever. I can't stop laughing. #TEBOWTIME 17:14, 17 August 2012 (UTC)
- i know right?? feb. 27th is by far the best... Douglasadams472 (talk) 03:12, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
- It seems to me that February 6th's wish implies that, as a result of the previous day's wish, he now has an absurdly large number of eyelashes. Opinions? Bobidou23 (talk) 02:58, 26 May 2013 (UTC)
I feel that each wish should be thoroughly explained, or at least briefly mentioned. 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- +1, Marking this 'incomplete' Spongebog (talk) 20:09, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
March 15 may reference a painting of M.C. Escher so named "House of Stairs" 126.96.36.199 08:19, 8 March 2014 (UTC)
What did "zero wishes" mean? 188.8.131.52 18:16, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
- Often when configuring software (especially regarding limits) 0 is taken to mean infinite, for example in a mail server's config file there may be an entry that looks like "Max number of connections: (enter 0 for unlimited)" 184.108.40.206 19:24, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
- My take on "zero wishes", is that it is a bit of black hattery. He wants to abuse any system he finds, by asking for zero wishes he wants to cause the eyelash wish system to crash in some way. Its not an attempt to gain more wishes, its an attempt to bring the wish system down.220.127.116.11 21:16, 8 July 2014 (UTC)