Title text: Things were better before the Structuring and the Levels.
Facts become distorted as time moves forward. What do we know about the Elizabethan times? They spoke strange English. What will 400 years from now think of the first twenty years of the Internet? Crazy people said crazy things online. Will we even say "online" 400 years from now? Won't the internet be everywhere, and everyone on it all the time in their retinal implants that being "offline" will seem absurd?
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: Hey, it worked!
- Cueball: What? Who are you?
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: I'm from the distant future.
- Cueball: Wow. Hi!
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: Are you a blogger? I play one of you at our festivals!
- Cueball: Huh?
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: Like the ren faires of your time — I do reenactments.
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: We relive the days when the internet was new and free. The days of risky sharing, slashdot, the myspace music renaissance. The generation's finest minds meeting on comment threads, battling roving bands of trolls, and holding the great dialogues of the age!
- Cueball: Is that how you—
- Man in Red Cape and Goggles: We're fuzzy on some details. Did bloggers really wear red capes and goggles and blog from high-altitude balloons?
- Cueball: No!
- Cueball: Well, Cory Doctorow does. But nobody else.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!