Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Why is 2004 the future?.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
The comic is very simple: Randall apparently has a realization about the time in which he lives (at the time, anyway), given that he grew up in a time where the 2000s seemed very far away, but he now exists in that timeframe with the rest of society. This mind-blowing thought occurs to him every few months, if he is to believed.
The title text states that "the future" was reached in 2004 (three years before the comic was published).
- [Cueball sits silently front of his computer.]
- I still do this every few months.
- [He continues to sit for two more panels.]
add a comment!
- Cueball: Holy crap, it's the 21st century.
This comic isn't that simple:
- what is Cueball doing every few months?
- is 2004 correct? If yes, what does it mean?
--Dgbrt (talk) 20:09, 15 August 2013 (UTC)
- Every few months, Cueball halts his work and realizes that he is in the twenty-first century. Someone who grew up in anticipation of the new millennium (and the new century along with it) may take quite a while to adjust to it. The second bullet point, however, requires some research. --Quicksilver (talk) 07:18, 21 August 2013 (UTC)
"in which he lives in" – this is redundant. It should be "in which he lives. This could be a reference to the song "Live and Let Die", but unless this reference is more clearly explained, it does not belong in the explanation. 188.8.131.52 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- I would expand on this thought and state it should be altered to "in about the time in which he lives in is living in" just to clarify specifically that it's that specific time in which he specifically lives in generally. Thokling (talk) 15:06, 21 September 2013 (UTC)
I don't think the future is specifically 2004. It is unthinkable to Cueball (and hence Randall) that we are even in the twenty-first century. For him, the 21st century was "the future," a whole new millennium. I think the point of the title text isn't that the future occurred in 2004, its that we're living in "the future." 184.108.40.206
01:00, 3 December 2013 (UTC)