581: The Race: Part 5
|The Race: Part 5|
Title text: It was actually canceled because they just noticed he's been naked under that coat the whole time. There's a petition on Facebook to get Fox to un-cancel it, and one on Livejournal to get him to take off the coat.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
In panel 6 (2nd panel in the 2nd row), Nathan Fillion line is reminiscent of a similar quote from the 2nd episode of Firefly, The Train Job: "I just wanted you to face me so she could get behind ya." In the show, Malcolm Reynolds is aided by Zoë Washburne, his second in command, who gets behind the bar thug he is speaking to. In the comic, Nathan Fillion is using the line on a fan, but Gina Torres is not standing behind Cueball this time.
Summer's line about growing but not retracting her hair appears to mean that because Nathan used her to stop Cueball, she has to stop him as well, which she neatly does.
Summer's statement in the 10th panel about swallowing a bug is a reference to the movie Serenity, made in 2005 to conclude Firefly's storyline. While on the run from the Reavers, Summer's character accidentally swallows a bug while sitting in the open seated hovercraft.
The final panel is a reference to Fox TelevisionTV's treatment of Firefly. Firefly was cancelled after only 11 episodes of the 14 made were aired, leaving 3 episodes unaired.
Internet petitions, contrary to the sarcastic suggestion in the final panel, rarely, if ever, work.
All comics in "The Race" series:
- 577: The Race: Part 1
- 578: The Race: Part 2
- 579: The Race: Part 3
- 580: The Race: Part 4
- 581: The Race: Part 5
This series was released on 5 consecutive days(Monday-Friday) and not over the usual Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule.
- [Nathan skates in.]
- Nathan: So you took care of him?
- Summer: I can exude hair but not retract it.
- Nathan: That a yes?
- [Summer grabs Nathan's arm as he skates past her, pulling him off the board.]
- Nathan: Bwah!
- [An Andy Capp-esque meleè dust cloud.]
- WHAP BAM POW WHAM
- [Summer skates away.]
- [A beat-up Nathan approaches an similarly battered Cueball.]
- Nathan: She may have my board, but I can still beat you to the finish line if I bring you down.
- Cueball: Bring it, Captain Tightpants.
- Nathan: I've got nothing to bring. I just said that so she could get behind you.
- [Cueball turns.]
- Cueball: Who-
- [Cueball is hit with his board.]
- [Nathan stands over a prone Cueball.]
- Nathan: I just said THAT so I could get behind you. The serious fans always fall for the quotes.
- [Wide panel of Summer crossing the finishing line on Nathan's board, breaking through the tape.]
- Announcer: And the winner is...
- Off-screen voice: Summer Glau?
- Summer: I swallowed a bug again.
- [Close-up of Cueball's beaten face.]
- Cueball: All right, Fillion. I've had enough of your treachery and ...rugged good looks. This ends here.
- [Equally close-up: Nathan's face, bearing several grazes.]
- Nathan: All right, fanboy. Let this be our final battle.
- [They rush at each other, fists ready to swing punches.]
- Final battle canceled by Fox.
- Try an Internet petition drive - those totally work.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!