595: Android Girlfriend
Title text: Programming the sexbots to enjoy sex seemed a sensible move at the time, but we didn't realize the consequences of their developing fetishes.
The comic parodies the party trick of tying a cherry stem in a knot with your tongue, thus indicating dexterity that could be put to good use in kissing and oral sex. The android uses a built-in arc welder unit and fries the cherry stem (presumably the "fetish" referred to in the title text), which for obvious reasons frightens potential sex partners away rather than attracting them. 600: Android Boyfriend can be considered a "sequel".
The title text bounces a few implications around. Developing robots with the capacity to either learn or feel emotions is an ethical factor and practical consideration that is commonly explored in science fiction, and will very soon be subject to intense debate in real life. Here, it's proposed that robots programmed for sex would have their emotions set to enjoy sex by default, but then use their capacity to learn to develop preferences on what kind of sex they want to have. This is potentially a psychological issue, mainly as to whether or not it would be considered "unhealthy", but more directly it's a customer satisfaction problem: what if a sexbot were to develop sexual fetishes that its owner isn't interested in?
- [Cueball and his friend face each other. Cueball is introducing his android girlfriend to his friend, and his friend is holding a drink.]
- Cueball: Check out my new android girlfriend.
- Friend: Is she a sex bot?
- [The android grabs the cherry out of Cueball's friend's drink.]
- [The android pulls the stem off.]
- [The android puts the stem in its mouth.]
- [There is a bright flash around the android's mouth. The rest of the panel is dark.]
- [The android reaches toward Cueball's friend.]
- Friend: I don't think arc-welding a cherry stem counts as sexy.
- Android: Remove your pants.
- Friend: No.