Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Many people are upset about airport security policies that mandate the use of backscatter X-ray machines, since the machines can create an image of the subject naked. Black Hat is selling Viagra for men a means to thumb their noses (so to speak) at the system by forcing the security guard to see them with erections. Judging by the security guard's thought bubble, he indeed is not looking forward to the images.
At the title text, Black Hat or possibly one of the people in the line explains he has a fetish with getting X-ray scanned, and so thus doesn't need Viagra to achieve the above effect.
- [There is an airport security checkpoint where a queue of ten passengers is waiting to go through a backscatter x-ray scanner. Near the back of the line, Black Hat is standing next to a stand which says "Viagra $20". One passenger next to him is drinking a glass of water, probably after having taken pills; another is contemplating the sign.]
- Security Guard (thinking): Oh god.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I don't think it's Black Hat saying the title text but someone else in line. However, I'm not sure so I'm hesitant to edit it.220.127.116.11 15:54, 6 March 2014 (UTC)
I think the point is not about offending the backscatter operator, but more about men not wanting others to view their genitals in the flaccid state. Many men have self-esteem issues about genital size, and would be eager to take a pill that would make them appear larger before exposing themselves in that way. 18.104.22.168 05:29, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
$20 a pill for a now-generic (Pfizer's patent expired in mid-2014) medication is a bit steep, yes? 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Not sure how that is in any way relevant, since the comic is from 2010. Are you suggesting that Randall on a regular basis should go back and adjust all his comics for inflation and other market developments? 126.96.36.199 22:35, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- Plus, Black Hat is probably not overmuch concerned with providing a fair price. It's like the vending machines at amusement parks that charge $5 for a bottle of water. --188.8.131.52 20:42, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
Backscattering fetish must be a subset of X-ray porn (which exists - no, really). 184.108.40.206 11:15, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
- I don't know what I expected. I googled it. 220.127.116.11 18:11, 28 April 2015 (UTC)BK201
Explanation was convinced men would want to do this just to resist the system, I find there's a more obvious and definite reason so I put that in, and kept the previous as an alternate (while less likely) explanation. Maybe I just understand psychology better, maybe it's that I remember the night my brother and his buddy tried to fill in as strippers at a bachelorette party and had a certain form of stage fright. :) NiceGuy1 (talk) 04:08, 18 March 2018 (UTC)