827: My Business Idea
Many people have shared Cueball's experience of seeing someone else make profit from an idea that they themselves had. This comic plays with the thought of what would happen if intellectual property thinking was taken to an extreme, and if companies or people were more keen on "setting things right" than money. The title text is an extension of the comic with increasingly extreme thinking.
In reality, having a great idea alone of course does not create a profitable business; there must generally be an enormous amount of work and effort (not to mention risk-taking) put in to create a business from scratch, popularize it, and keep it standing. Cueball, having done none of this, would probably not deserve close to the "30% cut" he claims even if intellectual property did work the way it is presented here.
- [Cueball is sitting at his desk, pointing at his laptop.]
- Cueball: Dude! I had this idea like five years ago, and some company just got rich doing it! - I want my cut.
- [Cueball starts typing.]
- Person off-screen: That's not how it works.
- Cueball: Sure it is. I'm applying for my share now.
- Person: Wait, what?
- [A browser window with the title 'Department of Ideas'. It has a series of text boxes.]
- Date you had the idea:
- Like five years ago.
- Proof you had it:
- I told my friend Mike - you can ask him! I was all "you know what would make a great business idea?" and he was all...
- Their profit so far:
- Share you deserve (be fair!):
- Mailing address:
- 137 Ash Tree Ln
- [Cueball still at the laptop, above him is a SUBMIT button, and it shows a pointing hand cursor.]
- [Last panel set slightly lower than the rest.]
- [Cueball is in front of an open box full of cash, with cash in his hand. A FedEx delivery guy is on the other side of the box with his little electronic signing thing.]
- This comic was originally called "Business Idea" but Randall renamed it to fix a conflict on xkcd when he released 1721: Business Idea about five years later (as in the comic).
- This comic was thus also renamed on this page.
- It gave quite some turbulence on the release day as can be seen in the trivia section of the new comic.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!