Title text: But to us there is but one God, plus or minus one. —1 Corinthians 8:6±2.
This comic is a reference to the increasing coverage of the prediction by Harold Camping that the Rapture will be on May 21, 2011. The Rapture is a belief developed by an Anglican priest in the 1830s named John Darby who was recovering from an injury following a fall from his horse. He combined many pieces of Christian scripture into the idea that true Christians will be taken into heaven before Christ returns to Earth. This belief is held by some Chrsitians and was made more popular by the Left Behind series.
The first frame is a reference to raptors in Jurassic Park. In this film, the raptor dinosaurs get much more dangerous once they learn how to open doors. Cueball mishears Megan, which is why he thinks she said “Raptors” instead of “Rapture”.
The third frame is a math joke in which Megan references error bars which are used on graphs to indicate the uncertainty. So, Megan believes in one God (monotheism), as she says in the comic. But if she is still trying to find the error bars, and from the title text it is “one, plus or minus one”, that could be in the range of zero (Atheism) to two (Bitheism).
The title text is a supposed excerpt from the holy text of experimental monotheism. First Corinthians is a book of the Christian Bible. Megan refers to chapter 8 verse 6 (±2), which would be verses 4–8. In the actual bible text, this section refers to idols and “so called gods”, but also states “There is no God but one.”
- [Cueball and Megan talking.]
- Megan: So are you worried about the rapture?
- Cueball: No, unless it figures out how to open doors.
- Megan: I said rapture.
- Cueball: Oh, I'm not really into that. I'm the kind of christian who only goes to church on Christmas and Easter, and then spends the other 363 days at the mosque.
- Megan: ...I don't think that's a thing.
- Cueball: Our rabbi swears it's legit.
- Cueball: What religion are you?
- Megan: Experimentalist Monotheism.
- Cueball: Which is?
- Megan: We believe there's one god, but we're trying to find the error bars on that number.