Title text: To compensate for this, I plan to spend 2013 doing nothing but talking about Mayans. My relationships with my friends and family may not fare well.
Happy New Year everyone! This comic is in reference to the fact that the Mayans, an ancient civilization in the Americas, created a calendar that ends on Dec 21st, 2012. This date is regarded as the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the calendar used by the Mayan culture. Some therefore consider that the world is going to end on that date.
Consequently, a lot of people are talking about the Mayans, concerned that the world might end. Once December 21st, 2012 passes, everyone will be less concerned about the Mayans, because the world will not have ended. (Or it will have ended.)
In the final frame, Megan parodies the phrase, "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it," applying a twist to suggest an academic context. In most American schools, a Grade Point Average is computed by assigning numeric value to each letter grade: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0; receiving high marks (all A's) thus yields a 4.0 GPA. However, if you "Fail to learn from History" -- that is, get a failing grade, F, and had at least 3 other classes (not an unusual course load) -- you would still get a 3.0 with A's in those other classes. She is making the callous -- if roundabout -- observation that failing to grasp history, while no doubt troubling, isn't an academic show-stopper (perhaps explaining why so many Americans are so bad at it.)
- [Cueball and Megan are talking.]
- Cueball: Well, it's 2012.
- ((This panel has no upper and lower borders.))
- Cueball: Yup.
- Megan: Only 354 days left until everybody abruptly stops talking about Mayans.
- Cueball: Or thinking about Mayans.
- Cueball: Or acknowledging that huge city-building ancient American civilizations existed at all.
- Megan: You know what they say - those who fail to learn from history can still manage a 3.0 if they ace their other subjects.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!