When special people (to Randall) die, he has sometimes dedicated the next comic to their memory as a tribute.
- If possible the comic occurs on xkcd already the day after the person dies.
- This has been know to disregard the usual release schedule for the comic.
So far five people have a tribute:
- Gary Gygax is remembered in the comic 393: Ultimate Game, it came out three days after his death on a Friday.
- Steve Jobs is remembered in the comic 961: Eternal Flame which came out on a Thursday since he died on a Wednesday.
- Sir Terry Pratchett is remembered in the comic 1498: Terry Pratchett. He died on a Thursday, so even though the comic came out the day after, it was released on a normal release day, Friday.
- Roddy Piper, former wrestler known as Rowdy, played the protagonist in "They Live," and he died five days prior to the publication of 1560: Bubblegum. Less known than the other it is likely that Randall did not know about this the day it happened, and this may explain the delay in the tribute. It was released on a normal release day, Wednesday.
- Douglas Engelbart is remembered in the comic 1234: Douglas Engelbart (1925-2013), which came out on a Sunday three days after his death.