Talk:2130: Industry Nicknames
While I understand the humor value of using "big" as part of each nickname, "Detroit" would be a more realistic choice instead of "Big Car" (or even "Big Auto") for the car companies. 22.214.171.124 16:04, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- I’ve never heard that referred to as Detroit or big Detroit, thought you’re right about big auto. “That Guy from the Netherlands” (talk) 16:22, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- "Detroit" (not big) was a very common way to refer to the automobile industry as a whole, long after the 1980s when most car manufacturing exited Michigan. And mining is referred to by sector, e.g., "big oil," and, "big coal," primarily. Anyway, the idiom didn't come into widespread use until the late 1970s. 126.96.36.199 20:29, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
Real estate works too and rates pretty high: big house. 188.8.131.52 17:24, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- Big House often refers to prison. Nutster (talk) 19:13, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- Big Money: banking industry? own the mortgages. 184.108.40.206 04:38, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
I, for one, welcome our new big horse overlords 220.127.116.11 18:59, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
Thinking of the phrase "In the pocket of," I get thinking of clothing manufacturers: Being in the pocket of big shirt, or being in the pocket of big jeans. Mind you, you could look at the genetic analysis and manipulation industries, being in the pocket of big genes. That could work best phonetically. Nutster (talk) 19:13, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- Those are certainly lost opportunities for this one. Similarly billiards. 18.104.22.168 20:36, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- Is billiards "big pockets" or "big balls"?
- Some could interpret this comment as noting that Randall is in the pocket of Big Energy corporations, as he put them as "Big Hole" way over on the right near groups that have little coercive power. Communities have been devastated in conflict with energy corporations, with many many deaths, see for example Coal Wars. 22.214.171.124 04:59, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
Little disappointed, here, that no one is in the pocket of Big Bird.
- Or Big Kanga! 126.96.36.199 04:59, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
- For those FF fans out there, I would say that a considerable amount of the protagonists are in the pocket of Big Baha. Try to start up a rival company and either you gotta join him or BAM dualcast Gigaflare to the face. You think the Warriors of Light are legitimately good people? Take a sec and think about how big of a competitor Tiamat was in the industry. Kraken? Owed Bahamut money for the set up. Chaos never paid Bahamut back for the class changes. Its a nasty world out there. 188.8.131.52 03:25, 1 April 2019 (UTC)
Big Egg -> Big testicles -> Big balls -> Big baller -> big balla
Barefoot running enthusiasts on reddit/r/barefootrunning and r/barefoot regularly and non-humorously refer to the shoe industry as "Big Shoe". From this perspective, the Board of Podiatric Medicine should be termed "Big Orthotics" or "Big Foot Surgery".
- I'm partial to "Big Ortho".
Why'd Randall go with "Big Horse"? In my opinion, that isn't even as silly as "Big Car". I'd say that it's quite easy to stand up for the equestrian federation and call them "Big Eq" in the spirit of Big Ag. Big Ped, though, has nothing going for it. Paralyzoid (talk) 04:03, 1 April 2019 (UTC)
The American Poultry Farmers' Association: Big Bird