1054: The Bacon
Title text: Normally pronounced 'THEH-buh-kon', I assume.
This comic plays off the American colloquialism "bring home the bacon", which generally means to work hard and bring money home to your family to put food on the table. If a man is out of work he may be stressed out about how to "bring home the bacon."
Later, however, Cueball finds out, that what White Hat actually was saying was "Thebacon", which is a the common name of dihydrocodeinone enol acetate an opioid commonly market under names like Acedicon and Diacodin. As a pharmacist White Hat's wife has easy access to such drugs, and this may be the reason that he is so calm, because his wife supplies him with painkiller drugs.
Thebacon is compared to the more known drug, Vicodin also an opioid, which is a very common painkiller, that can become a drug of abuse.
The title text lists what Randall assumes to be the normal pronunciation for Thebacon.
According to Wikipedia, Randall seems to be mistaken in no less than three places:
- The proper name is
- Dihydrocodeinone enol acetate, not
- Dihydrocodeine enol acetate.
- It is a semisynthetic opioid not a synthetic opioid.
- The pronunciation is /ˈθiːbəkɒn/
- THEE-buh-kon, not
- This title text "error" may be intentional though, as he also write I presume after it, and there may be a joke/pun in the mistake.
- [White Hat is holding out a hand towards Cueball while telling him about his job situation. The space between the and bacon is very small.]
- White Hat: I'm out of work, but I'm not stressed about it because my wife is a pharmacist and she brings home the bacon.
- [Caption below the panel:]
- Only later did I learn that "Thebacon" is the common name for dihydrocodeine enol acetate, a synthetic opioid similar to Vicodin.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!