502: Dark Flow
Title text: The Pioneer anomaly is due to the force of my love.
This comic is about astronomy and the Your Mom jokes that have become increasingly widespread in urban parlance. Beret Guy is perusing a research paper which is presumably discussing Dark Flow, an observed anomaly in the motions of the galaxies which some theorize is caused by an unobservable sibling universe or similarly super massive object beyond the edge of the visible universe. Cueball, who is playing, sees this as an opportunity to turn it into yet another Your Mom joke, implying that Beret Guy's mother is fat.
But apparently, Beret Guy's mother is dead, or at least missing, and he takes the joke seriously. He looks toward the sky, and wishes that his mom pulls harder, so he could be with her. The joke has been turned onto itself.
The title text is a continuation of Beret Guy's thoughts and refers to another piece of science phenomenon that has been observed in space, the Pioneer Anomaly. The Pioneer spacecraft had been slowed down by an unknown force as they exited the solar system, which he says is caused by the force of his love, probably towards his mom.
- [Beret Guy is sitting at a computer, and Cueball is sitting in an armchair, reading either a book or a newspaper.]
- Beret Guy: According to this A.S.T. paper, every galaxy is being pulled toward one area of the sky.
- [Only Cueball.]
- Beret Guy [off-panel]: They hypothesize that it may be due to a supermassive object beyond the edge of the visible universe.
- Cueball: Maybe it's your mom. Zing!
- [Only Beret Guy.]
- Beret Guy: Do you think?
- [Outside at night, on a rooftop. Beret Guy is looking up to the sky, next to a telescope.]
- Beret Guy: Pull harder, mom.
- Beret Guy: I Miss you.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!